The End | Third Trimester Recap

Month 7

We rang in the third trimester, and week 27, celebrating the 4th of July! He his moving around like crazy and reacts strongly to any loud noise. This, as you can imagine is quite uncomfortable for me as he’s running out of space!

Can someone explain to me why we have to deal with hot flashes and itchy skin?! There are days that I am so exhausted and itchy that I don’t realize I’ve scratched through the surface of my skin! Thank you, PUPPS. We are so glad you’re here…On a more grateful note, thank you Benadryl!


During this month, I had to deal with the NASTY Gestational Diabetes test. I don’t care what ANYONE tells you–it’s horrible. You can do it, but it’s HORRIBLE! 55 minutes into the hour you have to wait before the blood draw, I almost got sick. As they were taking my blood, I did. Thank goodness, they could still use the blood collected. At this appointment, I also got my TDap and Rhogam shots, and had extra blood drawn to get on my liver. I was fortunate enough to pass both the diabetes test and the liver draw.

We also had to deal with what the doctor later termed as “severe Braxton Hicks”. I had contractions one night from 1900 to 0300. Luckily, they were just inconsistent enough that we were under the threshold for having to go into the hospital that night.


Month 8

The start of month 8 was ROUGH. My anxiety and  sense of overwhelm skyrocketed and everything felt impossible. Dealing with the dishwasher, running errands, cooking…You name it, I felt like I couldn’t do it.

Let’s not even dig into body image issues! Every inch of me was under scrutiny by me, myself, and I.

At 30 weeks, we redid our anatomy scan. He looked great and we were able to see everything necessary to check off the doctor’s boxes. Even though we received great news, he was very uncooperative and the scan took much longer than it should have. After consulting with my doctors and therapist, we increased the Zoloft to 100 mg. We also kicked off our Child Preparation classes. Holy information!

32 weeks came with quite a scare! We had our scheduled doctor’s appointment, but, late the night before, I had started leaking fluid and having mild Braxton Hick’s contractions. I was examined at the appointment, they took samples of the fluid, checked on baby, and told me they’d be in touch. We were able to rule out that the fluid was urine, which was strangely disappointing.

The next day, I called to get the results and to update them that I was still leaking fluid and the contractions were closer together. They had yet to receive all of the results and told us to go to Labor and Delivery ASAP. While at the hospital, we “learned” that I was indeed having contractions about every 15 minutes, with cramping and pressure in between each one. Luckily, baby’s heart rate was unaffected, but we still needed the test results. We got the results and found out it wasn’t amniotic fluid or urine. They watched us a little longer and then sent us home.

On the way home I got a call from the doctor saying that I was to start modified bed rest, but they’d prefer me to stay horizontal more often than not to decrease the chance of pre-term labor.


Month 9

Weeks 32 and 33 were bed rest weeks. Holy boredom and…yeah, boredom! Baby was moving so much and my back is KILLING me! It felt like someone was constantly pulling me forward from the belly button which is hurting my lower back. The only thing I wanted to do was to get up and walk around.

I also started feeling sick for a few hours everyday, which is not fun. It doesn’t seem to matter what I’ve done, eat, drink, etc. I have a feeling that my morning sickness is back and staying. The PUPPS is, also, out in full force and I’ve never felt so defeated.


The 2 biggest excitements this month were getting off bedrest at 34 weeks and taking our maternity photos!

When we made it to our goal of 34 weeks, the doctor’s decided to let me off the bed rest hook. I couldn’t have been happier! Because Baby is still measuring in the 98 percentile, we will do a growth scan at our 36 week appointment. Depending on what they see, we will discuss our birthing options.

On August 27th, I was in the hospital for another blood clot ultrasound because of all the swelling and discoloration. They, of course, didn’t find any blood clots, but told me to start wearing compression socks and elevating my legs most days now. These socks made me overheat like crazy! Anyone else experience the same thing?

We went into Labor and Delivery over Labor Day Weekend because Baby is trying to be funny! All of the sudden, I had contractions every 3-5 minutes for seven, yes seven, hours. They came hard and fast and I couldn’t get relief.

After several hours in the hospital of monitoring, getting IV fluids, and trying to change positions to get them to stop, I was given Terbutaline. This was given in a shot form and is used to slow the contractions. While it slowed them down to a good 15 to 20 minutes apart, it made me so jittery and antsy.


A few days later, at our 36 week appointment, our doctor gave us the okay for Baby to make his entrance! They estimated that he’s about 6 pounds and 2 ounces and doubt that we will make it full term. I could have told them that.

We were quite surprised to find him so small and measuring in the 48 percentile after he’s measured in the 98 percentile this whole pregnancy. I’m not sure I trust them on his weight, as it is such a big difference, but I’m hopeful that they are right! At the appointment, we also found out that the contractions are working. I am about 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. The best and weirdest phrasing I’ve ever been excited for!

We also found out that I did not have Group B Strep and was not anemic! They also had gotten their flu shots in that day, so I was the lucky recipient of that! Can you tell that I had (and hate) any and all needles?!?!

36 week growth scan! Those little dots above his nose are some of his fingers

Another week, another hospital visit! My 37 week appointment was 2 days early and technically still in my 36th week. My blood pressure was still high for me, I didn’t feel good. Then, that night, I swelled so much that I couldn’t comfortably bend my hands/fingers, feet/toes/ankles. My face swelled even more, which is hard to believe that it could even happen, and got very red. They sent us to the hospital for a preeclampsia evaluation and found a some protein in my urine. They decided to send us home with a collection kit to see what my protein levels look like in a 24 hour period. At this point, it is safe to say that I was exhausted, uncomfortable, and had mentally checked out.

The results came back pretty quickly and we learned that I had elevated levels of protein, in addition to blood, in my 24 hour collection. The doctor moved up my next (38 week) appointment to monitor me more closely. 

Month 10

During the actual week 37, we got to take another trip to labor and delivery because I started having shortness of breath and my preeclampsia symptoms were getting worse. God, am I getting sick of seeing these people!

Earlier in the day, I had a follow-up appointment for the last L&D visit. At this appointment, they told me that an elevation in anything (swelling, dizziness, blood pressure, etc.) would call for induction. After going into L&D, at the doctor’s request that night, we walked out WITHOUT a baby. To say we were frustrated is an understatement! I cried the whole way home and then for several hours after. We left having to do another protein test over the weekend to see if there was elevation in the numbers.

There, of course, was an elevation in blood and protein, plus signs of an infection, and my preeclampsia was getting worse. In addition to all the symptoms, my blood pressure and resting heart rate was WAY too high for comfort.


The Friday after this hospital visit was…interesting?! Knowing that I was still feeling unwell and mentally defeated, the husband took a half day off of work and surprised me with lunch and a variety of movies! Again, I may have cried for a bit. Ah, hormones! It was quite a nice surprise and made the rest of the day (sitting on the couch) move quickly and was WAY less lonely.

That night, I also burned my stomach while trying to help with dinner. Not, at all, a way to end the night!


On the Monday of week 37, I had my 38 week appointment and my follow-up for the test results from the hospital. Like I said a couple of paragraphs ago, there was more blood and protein in my urine, I had signs of an infection, and the preeclampsia symptoms were getting worse. The doctors were not comfortable letting the pregnancy progress.

On Wednesday, the start of Week 38, we went into the hospital to be induced! We made it 4 weeks past our goal! Holy light at the end of the tunnel!

General Info
Weight: Yes, way more than I would have imagined. At the end of the pregnancy, I did my final doctor weigh in and found that I had gained 65 pounds. They are attributing about 30 pounds to 2 things….first, all the different medications that I’ve had to be on (steroids, hormones, etc.) and second, my inability to exercise (thanks a lot bed rest–note sarcasm). Regardless of what they told me, I was (and am) horrified at that number…
Cravings/Aversions: Cold, fizzy drinks. Seltzer water, soda…it doesn’t matter I just want the bubbles
Sleep: Horrible. I’m lucky if I get a 2 hour stretch of solid sleep between the contractions and bathroom breaks. I don’t know that I’d say I’m totally awake for either of these, but I’m definitely not asleep.
Medications: Prenatal with methylated folate (3 pills/day), Baby Aspirin (81mg AM), Zyrtec (10mg AM), Pepcid (20 mg AM), Zoloft (100mg/day), Potassium (99mg/day), Magnesium (99mg/day)
Misc.: HOLY LEG cramps. I can’t take it! I was put on potassium and magnesium pills, taking them every day. Some days I will only have a couple of cramps and other days I can’t stay still because my legs cramp, hurt, and need movement so badly.


3 thoughts on “The End | Third Trimester Recap

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s